Additional Pages

Monday 7 May 2012

Damselflies,Birds, Moths and a Reptile .. A bumper bank holiday menagerie !

It was my intention over the long weekend to plunge headfirst into the wildlife of  Doorstepshire and generally immerse myself in my favourite creatures.I was on a mission, and thankfully I haven't been disappointed ! On the Birding front I managed to add 7 species to my year list.Starting on my own patch, Common Whitethroats suddenly seem to be back in numbers. At Upton a superb Black Tern showed well , as well as a Little Gull and  Whimbrel . It was all good Saturday.
I had started the morning in The Wyre and while birding I decided to check out one of the small pools. Despite the cold weather, I was desperate to see some Odonata, I was fed up of waiting ! Whilst mooching around I flushed a singe Large Red Damselfly ..Result ( a lifer ! ) It obliged by posing for a pic.


Large Red Damselfly



I completed the mooch with a  cheeky Slow Worm at last, they never seem to be around when I visit but Saturday I happened upon a snoozy pair. Also, a  pair of the Micro moths like I had seen on my patch earlier in the week also showed well, Adela reamurella.




Adela reamurella (male and female)


The Damselfly luck continued on Sunday when I saw 2 fresh male Beautiful Damoiselles at Upton. I was delighted with this find, I don't think there had been many seen at all yet.


Male Beautiful Demoiselle

Whilst wandering the wooded area the same morning I also spotted what at first I thought was a Small White butterfly, but then realised it was a moth. That got me excited, and fortunately I was able to get a photographic record to help me ID it as A Common White Wave ( a lifer !) After hearing several I also finally got a good look at a Lesser Whitethroat, but Garden Warbler escaped me for now.

Common White Wave Moth
 By Monday lunchtime I had to come up for air, and after a largely uninspiring morning out and about in miserable weather, I was returning home when I spotted a Male and Female Wheatear in the cattle field on my patch. They were quite close to the road, but I managed to get the camera out without disturbing them, concentrating on the female.


A nice find to end the long weekend in the field

1 comment:

  1. Nice work for a Bank Holiday weekend, good to see damselflies making an appearance, the Demoiselle is beatiful. I enjoyed a number of Banded Demoiselle sightings last year on the River Aire in Leeds and only a very very distant Beautiful Demoiselle so here's hoping for a view as good as yours this year.

    ReplyDelete