Additional Pages

Sunday 22 January 2012

Saturday 21st Jan 2012 Moors,Upton Warren.

I had limited time to bird Saturday morning, and with the weather dull and winds gusting it was probably going to be a bit duff. I decided to head to the Moors at Upton Warren, there  had been a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker  there earlier in the week, and in the likely event of not seeing that, there would be at least something avian on or over the water or feeders.
I headed for the west hide, hoping to get to have a little play with my camera, although light was poor. There were good numbers of Greenfinch,Reedbunting and Bullfinches showing in the bushes around the feeders.

Male Bullfinch
Blue,Great and Long Tailed tits flicked about, and  Great Spotted Woodpecker dropped in for a his elevenses.
 Around the pool were Grey Heron, CurlewLapwing ,Cormorant and Canada Geese. On it, Mute Swan, Pochard,Tufted Duck,Teal, Shoveler and Great Crested Grebe made up the usual suspects, along with Coot and Moorhen.However, a single Little Grebe popped up in the channel in front of the hide, which made a nice spectacle, and was an Upton year tick.Gull representation was mainly Black Headed with the odd Lesser Black.
Little Grebe
With rain threatening I decided to walk the area where the Lesser Pecker had been seen earlier in the week. However, neither I, or for that matter several more experienced birders managed to connect with the little fella that day.

3 comments:

  1. I wish the Litle Grebe here would pose like that for me! Like the Bully shot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stonking male Bullfinch Mark...a bird like that helps break through the grey January gloom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers both, I surprised to get a reasonable result with these given the lack of light.

    ReplyDelete