Additional Pages

Tuesday 22 May 2012

Waderfest Weekend

The main news from mid week birding on my local patch was confirmation of Reed Warblers returning, a really nice bird to have right on the immediate doorstep.
The weekend was all about the birds again with some solid sightings. I started on Saturday spending a couple of hours at The Flashes, Upton Warren. Here I secured my first Ringed Plover of the year which showed reasonably close. Unfortunately the murky weather didn't push anything else new to the deck, so I moved on to explore a new site at Salwarpe, which promises much, and produced a nice low flyover Hobby during the visit.
It was then onto Grimley, just 15 mins further, where 3 Greenshank were showing nicely for another addition to the year list at Camp Lane pits. The North end was chuffing with Hirundines of all variety too, and the Sand Martins rested quite close.

Sand Martin

 After trying and failing to photograph a Reed Warbler for 30 minutes, I proceeded to the Wagon Wheel side, where 3 Dunlin where feeding and scampering about with 3 Sanderling . These were only my second Sanderling and it was a nice addition to the year list again.
The weather Sunday was not great early doors, but when I got a text telling me a Little Stint had turned up back at Grimley that morning, I hopped straight in the car to do the 14 miles back to the wader rich area in search of a lifer. Joining some fellow birders, the Stint was elusive, tending to snooze down in the long grass. A Yellow Wagtail was noted, and all the previous days waders at this site were still present. However eventually after moving round the path, we all enjoyed splendid views of the Little Stint ( Video Here) . A nice lifer to add to the waderfest, not bad for landlocked Worcestershire !
The Sun finally appeared Sunday afternoon and I spent a couple of hours back on my local patch with a little Macro attachment for my Bridge camera. I managed a few snaps of the invertebrates, such as ...

Cantharis Rustica soldier beetle


Moth-wise, I had a Flame Shoulder in the trap Monday morning, another new addition, as well as micro moth  Epinotia tedella in the garden Sunday afternoon, kindly ID'd by Patrick C .
Flame Shoulder

3 comments:

  1. I dont have much luck photographing Reed Warblers either! Not that I see many on my reedless patch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My limited experience told me I should try later in the season, they show better, but once you start something...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grimley is def the place for waders locally this year. Great find on th patch Reed Warblers btw

    ReplyDelete