Additional Pages

Monday 21 April 2014

Redstart a great start to the weekend

Having identified a little bit of the patch as a potentially good spot for picking up a migrant or two, I was more than very pleased with myself when it did just that at the start to the Easter break. Whilst scanning the hedge line out popped a stonking male Redstart. He proceeded to work up and down the hedge and then actually flew over to me and showed in the tree next to where I was stood for a while. The header photo is my hastily taken record shot.
Now while all this was going on, a few yards away a Wheatear popped up in the adjacent field on  some sheep shite. .Again, a hastily grabbed record shot, but who cares, what a patch 20 minutes !



This coupled with the arrival of my first Whitethroat and House Martins of the year gave a birdy boost to the patch pan list.


The first Speckled Woods of the year have made an appearance too, as have some Nettle Tap Moths.


Speckled Wood



Lurking on a nettle also was this Phyllobius pomaceus.




This solitary bee was enjoying a Dandelion, those with far more knowledge than me tell me it is Andrena ( melandrana ) Nitida




Oaks really rock. Not only are they chuffin  at the moment  with micro's but I also picked out my first Oak Apple Gall of the year, caused by the wasp Biorhiza pallida  and close by, an Acorn Weevil

Oak Apple Gall


Acorn Weevil ( used to be in The Clangers )



Finally the plants, its a love hate thing but they are growing on me.I'm grateful help is at hand.
Wood Avens, Mares Tail, Garlic Mustard and Ribwort  Plantain are welcomed onto the patch pan  list, which now stands at......

219




No comments:

Post a Comment